Safety Tips When Operating Your Gas Fireplace, Stove, or Insert
Fireplaces bring a lot of warmth and cozy comfort.
Following these safety tips will help keep your family safe while you enjoy your gas fireplace, stove, or insert!
- Always supervise children, those with special needs, and pets when they are near an operating gas fireplace, stove or insert – or one that has recently been turned off (because it will still be hot)
- Keep the remote control (if available) out of the reach of children.
- Tell those who are unfamiliar with your unit that the glass panel of a gas fireplace, stove or insert can be very hot.
- Wait for your unit and glass panel to cool down before allowing anyone to get near it. Cool down can take a long time – an hour or more. Some units turn on and off automatically with a thermostat, so you may not know when the fire turned off. To err on the side of caution, always consider the glass as potentially hot.
- Be aware that metal surfaces, such as door frames and grilles, may also get hot.
- Always read the owner’s manual and follow instructions. For example, there may be ways to disable your remote when not in use.