Vented or Vent Free Gas Logs
This simple step-by-step guide can give you a good idea about making the choices that are right for your home and your taste. Here are the key issues to consider and understand when selecting your gas fireplace set up.
First, Know Your Venting Options
Gas Log Sets are usually divided into two categories, Vented and Vent Free. Each venting option has its advantages. If you are choosing gas fire products for an existing fireplace, check to see which venting system is currently in place. If you are choosing fireplace products for a new fireplace consider the differences between these two options.
- More realistic and natural lookingflame than vent free
- Must be installed in a fully functioning wood burning fireplace
- Majority of heat is lost as it goes up the chimney (heat output is similar to burning wood)
- Produces some soot when flame touches log
- Delivers more heat inside your home than vented gas fires
- Must be installed in a fireplace approved for a vent-free log set
- Installation is subject to state & local codes (some areas do not allow vent-free)